Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Brand extensions to the extreme



Prada did it first, then Porsche. Soon, Armani announced plans of launching a stylish mobile phone in the recent past.

Now, Swiss watchmaker Tag Heuer is the lastest high-end brand to jump the bandwagon, by announcing on Monday that it has licenced its name to French customised design manufacturer Modelabs for a series of luxury mobile phones to be launched in 2008.

Personally, I think luxury brands are taking brand extensions to the extreme. When Prada launched a mobile phone with LG, it was an ingenious idea, though gadget gurus were quick to point out that it was all style, no grit. Porsche sold its handsets by selling its design aspects. When Armani announced plans to do the same, the "Me too!" jingle played in my head. Now with Tag, I'm wondering, "Do you honestly want to buy a Tag Heuer mobile phone?"

How many people would buy a mobile phone from a company that manufactures watches? It's like asking, "Would you buy Vodka by a designer known for heavily embellished animal print ensembles?" (read: Roberto Cavalli Vodka). Frankly, it's a no-brainer. If I want watches, I'll go to Tag Heuer. If I want mobile phones, I'll go to Nokia/ Motorola/ Sony Ericsson, etc.

Source: Guardian

No comments: